Last week for Valentine's Day, my boyfriend and I cooked our own dinner for the special evening! We picked a recipe, went shopping for the ingredients and then whipped the whole thing together! It turned out amazing and I can't wait to make it again. We found the recipe here, but I have given a simple summary of how to put this together for dinner tonight!
Here's what you'll need:
1 pound shrimp
1 tablespoon hot curry powder (we substituted mild- I'm a baby)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup heavy cream or yogurt (we used yogurt)
Sprigs of fresh oregano, for garnish!
1. Zest oranges and squeeze juice of oranges into small bowl. Set these aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine half the zest with shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1.4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook shrimp until they are bright pink (about 2 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate.
4. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, celery, oregano and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder; cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the orange and tomato juices; cook until liquid starts to thicken (about 8 minutes).
5. Return the shrimp to saute pan, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream or yogurt. Add the remaining orange zest; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with oregano and you're ready to eat!
This is seriously such a delicious meal, and we had leftovers! This serves 4, but we weren't aware and just thought we weren't super hungry! So keep in mind, if you're cooking for 1 or 2, you will have some great leftovers :)
Can you see yourself cooking this? Have any delicious recipes you'd like me to try out and feature here? I'd love the suggestions and I would be sure to give you a shout-out for a great choice!